Electric Cooperatives in South Carolina
- 1.5 million South Carolinians in all 46 counties use power delivered by 20 electric distribution cooperatives
- Electric cooperatives build and maintain the state's largest power distribution system with more than 74,000 miles of power line covering 70 percent of the state.
- Electric cooperatives are private, independent, not-for-profit electric utility businesses owned by their members — the consumers they serve.
- Electric cooperatives provide at-cost, reliable electric service
- Electric cooperatives are governed by their own boards of directors, elected by the members
- Electric cooperatives contribute $1.4 billion per year to South Carolina’s economy